Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Slideshows


If you have been following my blog you probably noticed that I started adding slideshows to my entries...
-'bout time (I can hear some of you say).
In the online news world, slideshows have been going on for a while. However, instead of just having music accompany their images they add narration (think NPR but with pictures). The main differences between a traditional slideshow -like the ones that I and most people make- and a news centered photojournalistic one is that there is narration and a story line... not just a timeline.
As shamelessly self promoting as this blog is, this entry will not make reference to any particular slideshow or picture of mine. In fact, the slideshow I want you all to view is somewhat different than most, it is presented "flip-book"style and although it is reportage, it is a slideshow with no narration...just many story lines.
It is like watching a movie with only the soundtrack playing. Making it, in my view, an incredibly powerful and unique presentation; unique in the sense that you make it your own... it becomes personal, intimate... there is no one there. No one to tell you what, or how, to think, feel or react. No outside voices, just yours...
Listen to the beautiful music as well (I am a big fan of traditional music, especially middle eastern and Persian) see how well they go together...


For the flip-book style presentation of Iraqi Kurdistan by Ed Kashi go here.



Weep for Joy...help others.

No comments: